Thursday, August 16, 2012

Full Diagnosis

We found out this morning that Dad has Small Cell Lung Cancer (SCLC). This type of cancer is not staged I, II, III, IV. It's either classified as limited or extensive. My dad's is extensive, because it has metastasized out of the place of origin. (This would be Stage IV in other types of cancers.) The oncologist said that now that we know it's SCLC, we don't need to pursue *where* it started, because it's already progressing. 

Surgery is not an option. Chemo will not cure it, only possibly slow it down. However, none of us are certain that chemo won't kill him faster. He does want to start chemo though, and he will go August 27, 28, 29. Then he doesn't go again for 4 weeks. The doctor said that if he hates it, or can't tolerate it, he can stop it at any time. 

I read a very sobering statistic today: "For extensive stage small cell lung cancer the median survival with treatment is 6 to 12 months with treatment, and only 2 to 4 months without treatment." 

Sigh.

My dad has had basically no response at all.  

I just want to sit on my bed for a little while and be sad.  

(In other news, I got my college textbooks today.  That was exciting...and staggering.  Thank God for financial aid.  My books cost $587!)

3 comments:

Erin said...

I'm so sorry about your Dad's diagnosis. I'll be praying for him and your whole family. Ephesians 3:20 says "Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us."

Holly from 300 Pounds Down said...

I am SO sorry to read this. I am just so so sorry. I understand how devastating this news must be for you and scary. I hadn't read the earlier blog posts to see what was happening but now that I've read this I am going to be praying for you and your father and your family. Hugs to you!!! I am thinking of you!

Kate said...

I'm so sorry, Cindy. This is awful.

I will keep your dad in my prayers. I don't know what to say to comfort you. Just that I'll be praying for all of you every step of the way.

xoxo
Kate