Monday, January 11, 2010

Hmmm

I'm sitting here across the room from Shannon's guinea pig...and I can hear her breathing all the way over here. It doesn't sound labored or pained...it's just loud. She's not a "young" guinea pig (we've had her since Shannon was in 3rd grade), so I wonder if this is an aging thing.

I shredded tonight, and it was better than last night. Today is Day 7...so I've been at this a week! I know it's too soon, but I wish I could see a difference somewhere. That's what REALLY motivates me. I'll take some pictures on Day 10. I wonder if I'll see any changes. I still really have a hard time with that set of jumping jacks / jump rope. I have NO idea why it's' so hard for me, but it's like my quads (the part directly above my knee...not further up my thigh) just seize up. So strange! I can do the jumping jacks early in the work-out, and I can do the full 2 minutes of cardio at the end...it's just the middle section that gives me fits. Definitely odd.

I had an interesting revelation last night at Bible Study...I think it's probably a "touchy" subject, and I absolutely mean no disrespect or to make sweeping generalizations...it's just what I've experienced.

So, our Bible Study is merging with another...and the pastor of the church we'll be merging with came to meet with us afterward. After the meeting-talk, things just kind of shifted into chit-chat. He (an older man...in his 70's) was talking about how conservative he is, and how "the church" needs to be that way, and how "we" need to be careful not to become complacent (liberal). Now, out of respect, I kept my mouth shut, but let me just share that I was born and raised in California. I am becoming more conservative as I age, plus living here in the South is taking it's "toll" (haha) on me as well. But suffice it to say, I'm still quite liberal in many ways.

And now, for a little background story. I grew up in the United Methodist Church. I was active in church activities through my childhood and high school. During my college years I slacked off, but began attending again after college, and especially after Shannon was born. I grew up with the notion of Hell being "where you go if you're evil," and really the only idea of Satan/The Devil I had was that silly saying "the devil made me do it." In middle school, I went through confirmation, and accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior. Here in GA, we are members of and regularly attend a United Methodist Church.

Now, about a 10 months ago, I started really going through a spiritual change. After Patrick's accident, my life just changed a lot, and through no conscious decision, I just sort of started slipping away. I was so devoted to taking care of Shannon, Patrick, our home, my job, our pets, etc...that I forgot to take care of me. A dear family friend (DM) reached out to me, and basically offered me a life line. He is a wonderful (and extremely educated) Christian mentor to me. In some of our talks/studies he would talk about "the enemy" and finally I had to ask him straight out...because I didn't know what he was talking about, lol. We had to have a couple very serious talks about Satan/Hell.

So...on to my "revelation." Listening to this pastor talk and share a story last night, it finally dawned on me. I was brought up in a very liberal state, and in my experience you "accept Jesus as your Lord" and follow him...and live a good life. Here in the South, you are "saved." But being saved connotes being saved FROM something...ie: Satan or Hell. This had never occurred to me that my physical, geographical upbringing would have anything (or so MUCH) to do with my evolving religious/spiritual beliefs. I mean...I've been in the United Methodist Church basically my entire life...and yet from coast to coast, from liberal to conservative...the methods of "religious education" are vastly different.

Let me just say again, I hope this doesn't offend anyone. It was not my intention to make sweeping generalizations of "liberal Californians" or "conservative Southerners"...more just to note this observation I had.

1 comment:

S said...

I totally agree for you. I grew up in the South (Alabama) then moved to California for almost 8 years so I understand what you mean.